Sunday, March 18, 2012

Bruce is down, I repeat, Bruce is down.....

Welp....It has happened.
 After 5 smooth months of up-and-running-ness, Bruce the crucible furnace is down.  Woke up, got my coffee, went out to the studio to make some tumblers and I saw it. The temperature on the furnace was about 20 degrees lees than it was supposed to be. "Hmmm" was my first thought. "Crap" was my second thought. Naturally the night before I had gotten a pre-paid order for a set of 4 tumblers. (Thanks JacQ!!) Not to mention I had just loaded Bruce to the rim with a new batch of glass. Good timing for sure, however the timing could definitely be worse. It is relatively slow right now and although it is my peak production season.... well it could be worse. So, I did the only thing I could do. I emptied all of the glass out of the crucible, in hopes it will not crack on the way down or back up....fingers crossed. Now I am trying to bring the temp down as slowly as possible. I was happy to see that the heating elements still have a bit of life in them yet! Lets hope they can get the temp down slowly enough so I don't have to order a new crucible.
Sigh.
One of the many joys of owning/operating ones own studio. Again, if this is the worst thing I have to complain about right now in my life....I consider myself the luckiest person on Earth.

Keep your fingers crossed for Bruce!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, BOOOO! What's wrong with that Bruce, anyway? I hope the fixing part is within your reach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not too big of a deal actually. The heating elements burn out about every 5 or 6 months. I do have new elements on hand and I don't mean to toot my own horn Laurelle but I can do anything :)

    ReplyDelete